- 1 eggplant (about 450g)
- 1 medium tomato, stem end trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pita bread or focaccia, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 200°C / gas 6.
- Pierce eggplant with fork in several places; place in roasting pan. Roast 10 minutes. Add tomato to roasting pan. Roast vegetables 40 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel eggplant and tomato.
- Place eggplant, tomato, lemon juice, basil, thyme, garlic and salt in pitcher of KitchenAid Magnetic Drive Blender. Cover and blend on Manual medium speed until well blended. While blending on medium speed, add olive oil in thin steady stream through top and blend 5 to 10 seconds or until well blended. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve spread with pita bread.