- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 440g can chilled lychees, drained and chopped with all juice reserved
- 440ml chilled coconut milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml ice cold water
- Attach the wire whisk to the mixing bowl. Add the egg whites and beat on speed 6 to soft peaks. Increase to speed 10 and gradually add the sugar in about 3 additions, beating well for 2 - 3 minutes to a very soft meringue. Not too thick and firm.
- Reduce to speed 2. To the side of the bowl add the chilled lychee juice, coconut milk and vanilla. Remove to a large jug or container and chill for a minimum of 2 hours. The mixture may separate into 2 layers and flatten.
- Just before churning, quickly attach the wire whisk to the stand mixer, place the chilled mixture and the cold water into the mixing bowl. Whisk on speed 2 for 1 minute or until well combined. Pour into a jug with a lip.
- Working quickl attach the frozen KitchenAid Ice Cream bowl and dasher to the stand mixer. Turn mixer to stir, and pour cold mixture into bowl with the mixer running and churn for 15 minutes or until a light soft sorbet results.
- Add the chopped lychees and churn 2 minutes further. Pour into a shallow container and freeze uncovered for 1 hour, then cover and freeze 4 hours or overnight.
- The mixture must be very chilled to churn successfully.
- Allow sorbet to soften for 5 minutes before scooping.