- 2 large lemons, washed & towel dried
- 125g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Finely grate lemon rind from lemons and then cut lemons in half. Attach citrus juicer with strainer to stand mixer. Turn to speed 6 and juice lemons. Set juice to one side.
- Place lemon rind, juice, butter and sugar into a medium sized, heavy based saucepan. Cook over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly with a silicon or wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Attach wire whisk to stand mixer and place eggs into mixing bowl. Mix on speed 2 for 10 seconds, or until well combined. Add lemon mixture and increase to speed 4. Mix for 30 seconds and then return mixture to saucepan.
- Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of spatula/wooden spoon – do not boil or mixture will curdle.
- Pour into sterilised jars if keeping, or serve immediately.
- To Sterilise Jars
- Pour boiling water into and over clean jars and lids and stand for 5 minutes. Carefully tip out water and place jars upside down on a rack to dry (Do not dry with a tea towel).
- To obtain more juice from a lemon, microwave for 20 seconds on medium power - warming the lemon, increases the juice.
- Recipe may be doubled or tripled, if desired.
- Limes may also be used.