- 250g unsalted butter, cubed and softened at room temperature
- 2 cups (250g) pure icing sugar ( extra for dusting )
- rind of 1 lime, finely grated
- rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- rind of 1 orange, finely grated
- 4 cups (500g plain flour), sifted
- 60ml water
- ¾ cup of raspberry jam
- Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place butter and icing sugar into the mixing bowl of your KitchenAid stand mixer. Attach the flat beater and pouring shield (if available) and mix on speed 2 until incorporated. Increase to speed 6 and mix for 2-3 minutes or until very pale, light and fluffy. Scrape down sides of bowl regularly with a spatula.
- Add rinds and flour, a little at a time and mix on speed 1 until flour is combined into butter mixture. Do not over mix.
- Add water and mix on speed 1 until mixture just comes together. Remove dough and knead lightly. Cut dough in half and cover one with plastic wrap.
- Roll out the first disc on a lightly floured surface and cut out cookies using a 6cm heart shaped cutter and place these on one baking tray (the dough can be re-rolled). Roll out the second disc, cut out cookies using the same cutter, then cut a hole in the centre of each of these using a smaller cutter and place on the second tray. Repeat with any remaining dough, you will need to have the same number of tops and bottoms. Bake the cookies for about 15 minutes, letting the cookies without holes remain in the oven an extra 2 minutes. Cool the cookies on the tray before filling.
- When the cookies are completely cool dust the cut cookies with icing sugar and set aside. Stir the jam to soften and spread a teaspoonful of it over the bottom of the base cookie. Gently press a dusted cookie on top and continue to fill the others. Let them set for about an hour before storing in an airtight container.