- 400ml full cream milk
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1 cup (90g) desiccated coconut
- 6 large (800g) or 7 medium (700g) egg yolks
- ¾ cup (155g) caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 300ml thickened cream (35% milk fat)*
- 100ml coconut cream, extra
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- Place milk, cream and desiccated coconut in a heavy based, non-stick saucepan, bring to a boil then simmer for 2 minutes. Drain well through a sieve and discard the coconut.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into mixer bowl and attach wire whisk. Mix on speed 2 for 1 minute or until thick and sugar has completely dissolved.
- Gradually add hot milk mixture and vanilla and mix until well combined. Transfer mixture back to saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook for about 7 minutes over a very low heat until mixture thickens and lightly coats back of wooden spoon or silicone spatula. Mixture must not boil or it will curdle, however it will be quite hot and a little steamy. Be patient with this step, please do not rush making the custard,
- Return mixture to mixing bowl. Add creams and mix on speed 1 until thoroughly mixed. Remove bowl, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 6-8 hours.
- Attach the ice cream bowl to the stand mixer (as per user guide). Transfer chilled mixture to a jug with a pouring lip.
- Turn mixer to speed 1, slowly add cooled custard to frozen ice cream bowl. Churn for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup of the coconut and continue mixing until the mixture is a very firm soft serve consistency. Spread mixture into a shallow container, sprinkle over the remaining coconut, cover and freeze about 4 hours or until firm. Allow to soften 5 minutes before scooping.
Looking for More Ice Cream Recipes?
Try these other gorgeous ice cream recipe options: