- 1.5kg skinless chicken thigh fillets
2-3 tsp korma curry paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500g all purpose potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 1 tbs plain flour or rice flour
- 1 cup water with 1 chicken stock cube dissolved
- 2 cups tomato passata
- 1 cup frozen green peas (optional) added in at the last 15 minutes of the cooking
- Smear the chicken pieces lightly with the curry paste and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the oil and heat gently. Add the onion, potato, carrot and celery. Cook for a few minutes to soften, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken pieces to the hot pan and brown well on both sides. Sprinkle over the flour and turn over each piece of chicken.
- Add the chicken stock/water and tomato passata, stir and bring to the boil.
- Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Season well with salt and pepper. Cover with the lid. Cook for 6 hours on medium.
- Add peas (if using) for the final 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve topped with roasted cashews alongside rice and pappadums if desired.
- To programme:
- Select the 'power 'button to turn the slow cooker on.
- Select 'medium'. Push the '+' button to 6 (hours).
- Allow to cook. The timer will count down.
- At the end of the cooking time the slow cooker will automatically switch to the 'keep warm' setting (this function will hold for 4 hours).
- Note: the slow cooker can also be used manually, please refer to the manual for instructions.
For best results when cooking meat/chicken, always brown the ingredients in a frying pan first. This locks in the flavour and produces a true slow simmered look and flavour, be sure to remove all the sauce, juices and bits from the bottom of the frying pan to the slow cooker.