Prep time: 20 minutes + freezing
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup very coarsely ground espresso beans
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbs + 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat milk, cream and espresso beans in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove from heat; let steep for 10 minutes.
- Attach wire whip to stand mixer. Whip sugar, egg yolks and cornstarch in mixer bowl on speed 5. With mixer running, pour the hot cream mixture into sugar mixture in a thin steady stream. Rinse saucepan. Pour cream mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat until mixture is barely simmering, whisking constantly. Strain through fine-mesh sieve into medium bowl. Stir in vanilla. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until cold.
- Assemble drive assembly, freezer bowl and dasher (as per instruction book) to mixer. Turn mixer to speed 1; pour cold mixture into bowl with mixer running. Continue to stir 20 to 30 minutes or until consistency of soft-serve ice cream. Stir in chocolate chips during the last 2 minutes of mixing, if desired.
- Transfer ice cream to an airtight container; freeze several hours until firm.