You may often wonder, which bowl is best? Glass or stainless steel?
The short answer is that both are great but work in slightly different ways. This post gives you a helpful rundown and we’ve even included a bowl capacity list for some of your favourite ingredients.
Often preferred by home cooks.
Benefits of a Glass Bowl
- Easy-to-read ingredient quantities on the marked bowl – has standard and metric measurements moulded into the side.
- A silicone lid can be placed on the bowl when proving dough. It also helps keep the bowl clean when the stand mixer is not in use (lid only available when bowl is purchased as a separate accessory. Platinum Stand Mixer glass bowl does not include lid.)
- Dishwasher, freezer and microwave-safe.
- Moulded pouring spout makes pouring batters easy, minimising spills and drips.
- Glass retains an even temperature (creaming of butter and sugar in winter is easier).
- You can see the mixture / batter / dough from all angles.
- Easy-hold handle.
Tips for Use
- Remove the thread ring before using the bowl in the microwave.
- To avoid product damage, do not use the glass bowl in areas of high heat such as an oven or stove top.
STAINLESS STEEL BOWLS
Preferred and commonly used by all professional cooks
Benefits of a Steel Bowl
- Remains cool during beating, keeps mixtures cool, good when used in warm climates as it helps prevent splitting and curdling.
- Assists in optimum volume with egg whites for meringues and mousses, etc.
- Lightweight and durable.
- Bowl can be warmed over a flame – this is common practice in commercial kitchens.
- Buffing and polishing is easy with a soft cloth and hot water.
Tips for Use
- Winter temperatures will chill the bowl, making creaming initially difficult for the home cook, but this is a huge plus for hot weather.
- Egg whites beaten in a stainless steel bowl are quicker to beat into a fluffier looking, firmer meringue (approx 5 minutes). Using a glass bowl takes approximately 8 minutes. Both bowls produce good quality meringue, however.
CAPACITY GUIDE (6.9L Stand Mixer)
Minimum mixing capacity:
1 egg white
Maximum recommended capacity (total mix weights):
Pizza dough 3kg
Bread dough 2.2kg
Pasta dough 2.2kg
Cake batter 4kg
Cookie dough 3kg
Pastry (shortcrust) 3.2kg
Choux pastry 2.6kg
Mashed potatoes 3.5kg
Egg whites 19 (700ml)