- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1½ cup (195g) plain flour
- 1½ cup (90g) shredded coconut
- ⅔ cup (150g) caster sugar
- 125g salt reduced butter
- 3 tbs golden syrup
- 2 tbs boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to low 160C (140C fan forced). Line two biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Attach the mixing bowl to the stand mixer with the flat beater. Place the oats, flour, coconut and sugar. Turn to speed 2 and mix until well combined.
- Place the butter, golden syrup and water into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil stirring. Remove from the heat, add the bicarbonate of soda and vanilla, stir to combine (mixture will become very foamy).
- Turn the mixer to speed 2 and quickly add the hot syrup. Increase to speed 6 and mix until well combined. Mixture will be very sticky.
- Roll into balls, about the size of a golf ball and place on the prepared trays allowing for spreading. Lightly press down to flatten. Bake on the centre shelf for 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing to a cooling rack.
- If biscuits puff up during cooking, simply flatten with a spatula