Makes: 25-30 meatballs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes minutes
Special Equipment: KitchenAid® 13-cup food processor with multipurpose blade; large mixing bowl; fry pan; large bowl or baking dish
For the meatballs:
- 1 tbsp olive oil, for frying
- 500g minced beef
- 500g minced pork
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped mint leaves
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
For the tzatziki:
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ cup fresh dill
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt (to taste)
- ½ red onion, peeled and chopped to a size that will fit through feed tube
- 2 fennel bulbs, tops and end trimmed and chopped to size that will fit through feed tube
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Rocket salad
Make the meatballs:
- Insert the multipurpose blade into the KitchenAid® 13 cup food processor. Add all the ingredients except for the beef and pork into the work bowl, secure the lid, and turn the processor to high to chop the ingredients.
- Add the ground pork and ground beef into the work bowl and allow to process until no large pieces of meat remain.
- Use a wooden spoon or other to remove the meat mixture from the work bowl. Use your hands to form/roll the mixture into meatballs about the size of a golf ball.
- Heat a fry pan on medium high heat and add a bit of olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the pan is hot, place meatballs into the pan, being sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cover the pan and allow to fry for 4 minutes, then uncover, turn the meatballs, recover and continue to cook for another 4 minutes. Repeat one more time, for a total cooking time of about 12 minutes per batch. Remove cooked meatballs into a large bowl or baking dish and cover the bowl with tin foil while you cook any remaining meatballs.
Prepare tzatziki sauce:
- Add the cucumber, garlic, and dill to your food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the cucumber mixture to the Greek yogurt and still until well combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice and salt and store in the fridge until ready to serve. Set aside.
- Insert the slicing blade into the food processor. Secure the lid, and turn the slicing knob to 1 or 2 (depending on thickness preference). Turn the machine on low speed, then feed the red onion and fennel through the feed tube, using the food pusher to push the pieces through the slicer.
- Remove the sliced onion and fennel from the work bowl into a mixing bowl and toss with a bit of olive oil and sea salt.
Assemble your dish:
- Place ¼ cup of yogurt into the base of a bowl, place a scoop of the fennel onion salad on top of the yogurt, then top the salad with 4-5 meatballs.
- Add your rocket salad into the bowl, and serve with a wedge of lemon.