We’ve transformed Mexico’s Tres Leches Cake (Three Milk Cake) into the meltiest, spongiest cupcakes ever. Top these gorgeous little morsels with whipped cream and strawberries for a decadent afternoon indulgence or dessert.
For the Cupcakes
• 3 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
• 1/2 cup caster sugar (separated into 6 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
• 4 tbsp whole cream milk
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1/2 cup self raising flour, sifted
• Pinch salt
For the Milk Syrup
• 6 tbsp evaporated milk
• 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
• 3 tbsp thickened cream
For the Topping
• 1/2 cup thickened cream
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• Sliced strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C.
2. Add egg yolks and 6 tbsp caster sugar into the KitchenAid Stand Mixer bowl. Mix for two mins on speed 4 until yolks are pale yellow. Add the milk and vanilla and mix briefly until combined.
3. Add flour and salt into egg yolk mixture and mix slowly to combine, gradually increasing speed as the flour incorporates. Transfer to a separate large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. Add the egg whites into the cleaned KitchenAid Stand Mixer bowl and whisk on speed 6. Gradually add caster sugar and continue to mix until soft peaks form. Increase speed to 8 and mix for a few minutes until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
5. Pour egg whites into the egg yolk mixture and fold in gently using a wooden spoon until just combined. The finished cupcake mixture should be a pale yellow colour.
6. Pour cupcake mixture into patty pans until half full. This mixture will rise a lot, so be sure not to overfill.
7. Bake for 15-20 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
8. Once cool, pierce each cupcake with a fork or toothpick multiple times. This will allow the syrup mixture to incorporate into the cupcakes.
1. Add syrup ingredients together and mix until combined.
2. Ladle a spoonful onto each cooled cupcake, wait for the mixture to absorb, then repeat for each cupcake.
1. Add the cream and sugar into a fresh mixing bowl and blend on speed 6 until cream is thick and spreadable.
2. Scoop cream generously onto each cupcake, then top with fresh strawberry slices.
The Wandercooks , Sarah and Laura, shared their go-to comfort food recipes with us. The quirky duo have visited over 100 cities and 30 countries together, collecting irresistible recipes featuring interesting global flavours to satisfy any curious foodie. The best friends have agreed to pop their passports down for a moment, to inspire our palates with this easy-to-replicate recipe.
We hope you enjoy this recipe Sarah and Laura have created for us using the KitchenAid Artisan Mini Stand Mixer. Make sure you check out more of their recipes on the Wandercooks blog, Facebook and Instagram.